Gary Taubes is a rock star in the keto community. this video is a pretty good representation of most of his talks
The linked video is titled:
The Quality of Calories
Here are my notes:
- make no mistake, we are in an obesity and diabetes epidemic
- you would want experts to assess the underlying assumptions
- but they weren’t
- what causes obesity?
- is it calories in vs calories out?
- so Gary and Nina Tiecholtz and others are assessing for us
- in the early 1900s everyone was studying calories
- if you can only measure 1 thing, all your hypotheses are around that 1 thing
- so they fat shame obesity saying it is ignorance, self-indulgency, gluttony, and sloth
- the math says if every day, you store 20 calories more than you burn, that means you gain 20 pounds in 10 years
- but why do adoption studies show twins look the same even though the eat differently?
- why do men gain weight above the waist and women gain weight below the waist?
- why do women going through puberty gain 50% more fat than boys do?
- the energy balance hypothesis is circular logic, there’s no explanation
- what if I told you the fundamental cause of wealth is earning more money than you spend?
- that’s the same logic
- in economics you’re laughed out of the room, in health, that’s the norm
- lets take a step back to first principles: obesity is the accumulation of fat
- there is something about tissue that allows it to accumulate fat, we call it lipophilic
- so what regulates fat accumulation
- in 1965, Yalow and Berson identified insulin as the agent that makes fat cells accumulate fat
- when insulin drops fat depots shrink
- we secrete insulin when we eat carbohydrates
- this is textbook science
- in 1963 everyone knew that carbohydrates are fattening
- why keto? why intermittent fasting?
- keep insulin low for as long as we can
Let’s figure it out! The Fasting Motivation podcast is not medical advice.
the third comment on this youtube is the reason I started this podcast
Hazzard0 says I could listen to Gary Tuabes repeating himself 2 hours a week
My notes are a couple of minutes, that I can do whenever I need to remember why fasting works
Watch: Gary Taubes
for the rest of the story
Repeat after me:
if I’m predisposed to get fat, don’t eat carbs
Subscribe on iTunes
Subscribe on Android